- Parent is the biological parent, adoptive parent, parent by marriage, or legal guardian (court appointed) of the student.
- Aunts, cousins, grandparents, etc. can’t serve as instructor unless they have legal/court paperwork showing they’re a legal guardian.
- Must have a valid driver license, which must be in their possession at all times while performing behind-the-wheel instruction.
- Must not have had their driving privilege & driving license suspended, canceled, revoked, or denied within the past twelve months.
- Must not have been convicted of possession or use of alcohol or drugs within past twelve months
- Must not have had administrative action for driving under the influence/while impaired (we can we provide official legal language/statute numbers around this)
- Must not reflect more than 5 point violations on their driving record.
Who can be a parent instructor?
The student may have up to four registered parent instructors, provided all four are completely eligible. At least one parent instructor is required to accompany the student to the DPS and Tag Agency. In order to be a parent instructor, you must meet all of the following requirements: