Want to get your Iowa driver’s license? Aceable’s Iowa Permit Test Prep
can help you ace the permit exam. This drivers ed course will teach you the rules of the road whenever and wherever you want. You’ll get 20 levels of interactive lessons and unlimited practice tests designed to prepare you for the Iowa written knowledge exam.
Important: This is NOT
a state-approved course and will not fulfill the drivers ed requirement for Iowa applicants. Minors must take an approved 38-hour drivers ed course, and adults can choose either the 38-hour course OR a 6-hour Pre-Licensing Course. Aceable’s Iowa Permit Test Prep is a mobile study aid. It’s the perfect course for busy adults and a great study tool for teens.
HOW TO GET YOUR IOWA DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGES 14-17)
- Pass a vision test and written knowledge test at your local driver license office. You’ll need to bring a primary form of ID, proof of your Iowa residency, proof of your Social Security number, and a parent or legal guardian to sign your application (or the Parent’s Written Consent form). Find examples of acceptable documents here.
- Receive your Instruction Permit. The state fee is $6.
- Take a state-approved 30-hour drivers ed course.
- Carry your Instruction Permit for 12 months while you get behind-the-wheel practice with your parent or other approved, licensed adult who is at least 21 (if immediately related to you) or 25 years old (if not related to you). You will need 20 hours of supervised practice, including two hours of night driving.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test to get your Intermediate License. You must keep a clean driving record during the six months leading up to the test and be at least 16 years old. If you’re between 14½ and 16, you may qualify to get a Minor School License that allows you to drive to and from school without supervision.
- Curfews and passenger restrictions placed on your Intermediate License will be removed when you turn 18. You can get a regular Driver License at age 17 as long as you have A) held your Intermediate License for at least 12 months (with a clean driving record), and B) completed 10 hours (two at night) of supervised driving with your Intermediate License. Congrats!
HOW TO GET YOUR IOWA DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGE 18 AND UP)
- Take either the 30-hour course that minors take OR driver training at a local driving school.
- Pass a vision test and knowledge test at your local driver license office to get your Instruction Permit. Bring documents to prove your identity. Find examples of acceptable forms of ID here. You’ll also have to pay a $20-32 license fee to the Department of Transportation.
- Practice with a licensed adult until you’re confident in your driving skills.
- Take the on-road skills test. When you pass, you can switch to a regular Driver License with full privileges. Freedom!