How do I get my temps (permit)?

In Ohio, drivers ed isn’t a requirement for you to get your permit. You just need to know enough about road rules and road signs in order to pass the written test at the BMV. Most of our students get their temps before starting with Aceable and often study the driver’s handbook to pass the written test. You need to be at least 15 ½ to get your temps.

  1. Head to your local Driver Exam Station and take the vision and written knowledge tests. There’ll be 40 questions on the written knowledge test. The questions will focus on motor vehicle regulations and traffic signs, and you have to score at least 75% or better (at least 30 out of 40 questions correct) to pass.
    • To see a sample knowledge test from the state, click here. You can also review the material in your Aceable course to refresh your memory and study for the test. If you fail the written knowledge test, you can retake it at least 24 hours later. There’s no limit on how many times you can take the written knowledge test.
  2. Within 60 days of passing the vision and written knowledge tests, you must head to the Deputy Registrar License Agency to purchase a TIPIC (Temporary Instructional Permit Identification Card), also simply known as a permit. You’ll need to be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian and pay a $22 state fee (cash or check).
Was this article helpful?
58 out of 69 found this helpful

Articles in this section

Looking for more Certificate help?
Click to go to our Certificates section!
Ready to #BeAceable?
Click through to purchase the course that's right for you, and get on your way to being an Aceable Driver!
Our support operating hours:
🟢M/T/W/F : 8:30 AM to 5 PM CST* 🟢 Th : 8:30 AM to 3 PM CST* 🟡 Saturday : 9 AM to 12:30 PM CST 🛑 Sunday: Closed 🛑*Closed weekdays from 12 – 1 PM CST 🟢 CA Traffic Violator School Business Hours: Weekdays: 9am to 4pm PT