The state requires that you do 44 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction and practice. The behind-the-wheel hours are divided as follows: You must do 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with a professional driving instructor. If you want to complete these 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with a parent instructor, click here for directions on the steps you’ll need to take. You must also do 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with any licensed adult 21 years old or older (10 of these hours must be done at night). You can use this 30-hour log to keep track of these hours. You do not need to present any logs to DPS. If you want a guide to completing the 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice, you can use the 30-Hour Behind-the-Wheel Guide from the state of Texas here.
Articles in this section
- How do I find the best driving school for me?
- Instructor Taught Drivers Ed 30 Hour Driving Practice Log
- Do I need to complete Aceable first before doing my driving hours?
- Can I drive alone with a permit?
- When can I start driving with someone?
- What if I want to do all of my driving hours with my parent?
- Do I have to do my 14 hours with the driving school before my 30 hours with an adult?
- How do I know what to do for my 30 hours outside of driving school?
- Where can I find a driving school?
- How many behind-the-wheel hours do I need?
Looking for more Certificate help?
Click to go to our Certificates section!
Ready to #BeAceable?
Click through to purchase the course that's right for you, and get on your way to being an Aceable Driver!
Our support operating hours:
🟢M/T/W/F : 8:30 AM to 5 PM CST* 🟢 Th : 8:30 AM to 3 PM CST* 🟡 Saturday : 9 AM to 12:30 PM CST 🛑 Sunday: Closed 🛑*Closed weekdays from 12 – 1 PM CST 🟢 CA Traffic Violator School Business Hours: Weekdays: 9am to 4pm PT