What if I want a permit first?

If you’re not ready to take the driving exam and get your license, you still have options!

If you’re 18-24 years old, you can apply for a Texas permit.

If you’re 25 years old or older, you can apply for a License with B-Restriction, which is just state terminology for a permit for adults 25 years old or older.

To apply for your Texas permit as an adult or License with B-Restriction, take all of the required documents with you to the DPS. You can see that list here. You’ll also need to pay a $25 fee and pass the vision exam, but you don’t have to worry about taking the driving exam just yet. Once you have your permit or License with B-Restriction, you can practice driving with any licensed adult 21 years old or older.

When you’re ready, schedule a driving exam at your local DPS or with an approved driving school. Read about scheduling your driving exam here. Click here for tips on preparing for your driving exam.

Was this article helpful?
70 out of 77 found this helpful

Articles in this section

Looking for more Certificate help?
Click to go to our Certificates section!
Ready to #BeAceable?
Click through to purchase the course that's right for you, and get on your way to being an Aceable Driver!
Our support operating hours:
🟢M/T/W/F : 8:30 AM to 5 PM CST* 🟢 Th : 8:30 AM to 3 PM CST* 🟡 Saturday : 9 AM to 12:30 PM CST 🛑 Sunday: Closed 🛑*Closed weekdays from 12 – 1 PM CST 🟢 CA Traffic Violator School Business Hours: Weekdays: 9am to 4pm PT