Want to get your New York driver’s license? Aceable’s New York Permit Test Prep
can help you ace the permit exam. This drivers ed course will teach you the rules of the road whenever and wherever you want. You’ll get 20 levels of interactive lessons and unlimited practice tests designed to prepare you for the New York written knowledge exam.
Important: This is NOT
a state-approved course. First-time license applicants of all ages must take a DMV-approved Pre-Licensing Course OR a drivers ed class at their high school or college. Aceable’s New York Permit Test Prep is a mobile study aid. It’s a great learning tool and supplement to the required course.
HOW TO GET YOUR NEW YORK DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGES 16-17)
- Complete a school drivers ed course or a DMV-approved Pre-Licensing Course. If you take an approved drivers ed course at your high school or college, you can qualify to get your full driver license at age 17 instead of 18.
- Get your Learner Permit by passing a vision test and knowledge test at your local DMV office. Get your permit application and consent form (forms MV-44 and DL-180TD) signed by your parent or guardian. You’ll also need to bring proof of your identity, New York address, Social Security number, and lawful presence in the U.S. Find examples of acceptable documents here. The DMV will charge you a fee ranging from $77 to $103.
- Carry your Learner Permit for at least six months while you rack up 50 behind-the-wheel practice hours with your parent or other licensed adult who is 21 or older. Make sure 15 of those hours are at night and 10 hours take place in moderate to heavy traffic.
- Schedule your road test online or over the phone. Gather all the documents you’ll need to bring: your permit, Pre-Licensing Course certificate (MV-278) OR school drivers ed certificate (MV-285), signed Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262), and a registered and inspected vehicle.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test to get your Junior License.
- The curfew and passenger restrictions of your Junior License will be lifted when you turn 18. At that point, you can get your regular driver license.
HOW TO GET YOUR NEW YORK DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGE 18 AND UP)
- Complete a school drivers ed course OR a DMV-approved Pre-Licensing Course.
- Get your Learner Permit by passing a vision test and knowledge test at your local DMV office. You’ll need to bring proof of your identity, Social Security number, lawful presence in the U.S, and New York residence. Find examples of acceptable documents here.
- Carry your permit while you practice driving under the supervision of a licensed adult who is 21 or older.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test to get your driver license. Freedom!