What do I do if I have a license from another state and just moved to California?

As a minor with a driver license from another state, you’ll need to present your out-of-state driver license to the DMV and pass a knowledge exam as part of the application process. The behind-the-wheel test is usually waived for a person with an out-of-state driver license, but the DMV may require a behind-the-wheel driving test for any type of driver license application. As a minor, you will also be subject to provisional restrictions per California law. For example, licensed teens in California can’t transport passengers under the age of 20 and can’t drive between 11pm and 5am. After you turn 18, these restrictions don’t apply.
Was this article helpful?
4 out of 5 found this helpful

Articles in this section

Looking for more Certificate help?
Click to go to our Certificates section!
Ready to #BeAceable?
Click through to purchase the course that's right for you, and get on your way to being an Aceable Driver!
Our support operating hours:
🟢M/T/W/F : 8:30 AM to 5 PM CST* 🟢 Th : 8:30 AM to 3 PM CST* 🟡 Saturday : 9 AM to 12:30 PM CST 🛑 Sunday: Closed 🛑*Closed weekdays from 12 – 1 PM CST 🟢 CA Traffic Violator School Business Hours: Weekdays: 9am to 4pm PT