What do I bring to the DPS to get my license?

You must have held your permit for at least six months and be at least 16 years old to get your Texas license. Here are the essentials to bring with you:

You can download most forms that you need in one place: here

Forms From Aceable:

Forms From the PTDE Program Guide Packet from Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation:

  • PTDE Program Guide Receipt Page - it's just the first page of your program guide from TDLR
  • Click here for help on filling out the packet forms.


  • $11 Provisional License Fee (cash, credit, check, or money order)
  • Application for Renewal/Replacement/Change of a Texas Driver License or Identification Card
  • Driving Exam (Click here for tips on preparing for your driving exam)


  • Your Parent Instructor
  • Your permit (must be held for at least 6 months)
  • ITTD program certificate of completion (expires after 90 days)
  • Proof of insurance – Your name does not need to be on the car insurance
  • Current registration and inspection sticker
  • Two license plates (front and back)
  • Verification of Enrollment (VOE): This paperwork proves that you are currently attending school and your grades and attendance are in good standing. You need to fill it out and get it signed by somebody at your school’s administrative office.* If you are not in high school but are getting your GED instead, you’ll need to bring the form to your GED program’s office and get them to sign as the administrator.
    • Some schools require a waiting period between when you request the VOE and when they’ll actually issue it to you (usually 24 hours). Therefore, it’s a good idea to request the VOE from your school ahead of time (we recommend at least 3-7 days before you head to the DPS).If you get your VOE during the last week of the school year, it is good until the start of the fall semester.During the summer, you can head to your school district’s administrative office and have them sign your VOE form.
    • Homeschooled?
      • If you are home-schooled, Write “Home School” or the name of your home school on the top left corner of the form and your county on the top right corner of the form.
      • Check the first box, indicating your student is enrolled in a home school.
      • Type or print the student’s name.
      • Type or print one parent’s name and phone number in Administrator/Designee section.
    • Both the student and the parent must sign and date the form.
Was this article helpful?
205 out of 225 found this helpful

Articles in this section

Looking for more Certificate help?
Click to go to our Certificates section!
Ready to #BeAceable?
Click through to purchase the course that's right for you, and get on your way to being an Aceable Driver!
Our support operating hours:
🟢M/T/W/F : 8:30 AM to 5 PM CST* 🟢 Th : 8:30 AM to 3 PM CST* 🟡 Saturday : 9 AM to 12:30 PM CST 🛑 Sunday: Closed 🛑*Closed weekdays from 12 – 1 PM CST 🟢 CA Traffic Violator School Business Hours: Weekdays: 9am to 4pm PT